Helen Jeanette Stach was born September 23, 1922 on a farm one mile west of Forestburg to Henry and Julia (Reisetter) Larson. She graduated from Forestburg High School and Augustana College with a degree in teaching. She taught in Forestburg from 1942 to 1943 and then was a substitute teacher in the Letcher school system for many years. On August 19, 1944 she married Edward William Stach in Joplin, MO. They were long time residents of Letcher where they were members of St. Scholastica’s Catholic Church. They owned and operated both the Corner Station and Stach’s Grocery in Letcher for several years, operated a farm one mile southeast of Letcher from 1946 till 1981 and operated the West Side Fruit Market just west of the State Fairgrounds in Huron from 1955 to 1977. After retirement they moved to Mitchell in 1986. Helen and Ed enjoyed dancing and were co-founders of the Corn Palace Polka Club. Helen also loved sewing. All of her children and grandchildren enjoy her warm hand-knitted afghans to this day.
She is survived by her four children: Bonnie (Vern) Tate of Huron, Marilyn Freese of Sioux Falls, Gary (Janet) Stach of Carmel, IN and Kenneth (Lila) Stach of Letcher, ten grandchildren, twelve great-grandchildren and one brother, Lewis Larson of Forestburg.
She was preceded in death by her parents, her husband and three sisters, Selma, Opal and Lorraine.
A memorial fund has been established to LifeQuest of Mitchell.